Sunday 11 May 2014

Mother's Day Moments.......

First off I need to say I am not a cake baker....the handful of cakes I have made in my lifetime usually came from a packet (with the exception of a family fruit cake I love to make from scratch)....so it was with great trepidation that I undertook the somewhat daunting task of trying to recreate the much loved sponge cake of my beautiful sister in law who we lost 14 years ago....Unbelievably it turned out ....considering I was just about to put it in the oven and realised I had not included the egg yolks and whipped them in at the last minute.....I thought it was destined for failure....I think mysterious forces were assisting with this little project.
My amazement when I took this out of the oven was incredible...I was speechless.
It was such an emotional moment for me when I creamed the cake this morning....incredibly the smell of the sponge transported me back in time as the smell was so familiar....olfactory senses are truly amazing.......it brought back a lot of memories and I have to admit I shed quite a few tears....I still have to pinch myself that I made a successful sponge on my very first attempt.....It meant such a lot to me to be able to complete this cake as a tribute to her memory.
It was extremely satisfying to manage to recreate this old family favourite.
After noon tea ......family favourite finger sandwiches...there would be uproar if I didn't serve these !!
 It was a lovely afternoon and one I will always remember.....sometimes small achievements can mean so much.  I will certainly try to continue the tradition of making the birthday sponges from now on.  I hope everyone out there had a truly memorable Mother's Day.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing sponge cake, are you able to share your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps I should have kept reading your previous post.

    ReplyDelete