Monday 11 January 2016

More Than Just Tea & Scones......

Yesterday I joined the local Country Women's Association....they were just fabulous....admittedly I am a decade or three younger than the majority of members...but what an amazing bunch of elderly ladies they are....so motivated, focused and welcoming... I was a little disconcerted when one of the gorgeous septuagenarians sat down at the piano and belted out a verse of the national anthem and they all sang along....this apparently happens at the beginning of each meeting...but I'm sure I'll get into the swing of things....... .I'm really excited to be joining the group.  Have already put my hand up to volunteer on Australia Day at a memorial breakfast at the local church hall....6am start !!...these old country gals really do an amazing job...fingers crossed I wont let the team down...hope I can keep up with them....seriously...they are very enthusiastic and committed and what they lack in physicality they more than make up for in endurance !  I'm also hoping to gather a few delicious recipe's ...... the afternoon tea yesterday had the most amazing slices...watch this space .

The insignia for the CWS....a great bunch of ladies.
Spent this morning in the vegie garden and am slowly getting a bit of variety growing out there....the beetroots have started coming up, my first cucumber, early snow peas and silverbeet....I need to find  a good recipe to use the silverbeet as I'm not really a big fan...but have made a commitment that we eat everything that we grow. 
The garden is finally starting to show some results
Currently reading the 2015 Pulitzer Prize winner...All the light we cannot see....the author is definitely an incredibly gifted writer and the story is fabulous...but the continual flipping back between time periods and characters made it a less enjoyable read for me...would still recommend this as a great book and well worth the effort.

2015 Pulitzer Prize winner...always a controversy over the winning novel.
It's going to be stinking hot here again tomorrow....41c and then some in other areas....this is the hottest summer I can remember for quite a long time.....hurry up and grow trees in my yard !

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thank you for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment. The group you have joined sounds a bit like our Womens Institute its a great organisation that has been running since the war :-) Sounds like you are going to have lots of fun and make many new friends to. I Hope the care assessment on your dad has made life easier all round must be so hard for you all. Love your chicken house and run I cant wait until later this year when I can get my own :-) And you hounds are gorgeous not many dogs like a bath I have to wash mine outside as they don't do stairs and wouldn't stay inside a bath :-) Look forward to following you now, best wishes, dee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your lovely harvest, my favourite way to eat spinach or silver beet is chop it up, gently saute in butter,plonk on a couple of big dollops of sour cream or plain yoghurt and then sprinkle well with finely grated Parmigiano cheese, then give it a good stir....yuuum !

    ReplyDelete