Tuesday 17 March 2015

Let Loose in an Orchard......

For the first time in my life I've picked apples fresh from the tree..... the lovely lady who teaches the community writing group that I attend let me loose in her orchard. ..... I always bring her any goodies I have growing in the vegie garden and she said she would bring me in some apples but I said I was happy to go and pick them myself . ... She is widowed and in her 70's ( although very fit for her age) and the orchard has become quite overgrown and a little neglected but there were masses of apples just waiting to be picked......it was fabulous and I ate one straight from the tree and somehow they just taste so much better ...... simple pleasures I know but such a lovely experience.
The orchard is a bit overgrown but there was masses of fruit on all the trees... no pesticides so make great eating.
So many had already fallen wasted onto the ground...... such a shame.
Now I need to get busy and work out how to preserve some of them.....maybe apple sauce or cook them up and freeze.
Delicious apples......I even grabbed a couple of lemons and a few pears....
When I got home I checked the vegie garden and picked tomatoes, rhubarb, a couple of small eggplants and some new potatoes.  Beautiful to have so much lovely fresh produce around. 
Picked from the garden today
Only one little lonely egg today....the young girls still haven't laid any eggs yet but they can't be too far away. they are nineteen weeks old.... so hopefully egg production will be on the rise again soon.

6 comments:

  1. Being able to share the bounty of apples is how life should be. Most people with an established orchard can produce more fruit than they need so it is good to share. If everyone shared their excess then more people would have access to fresh local food. I wonder if there is a local TAFE horticulture class who could practice their pruning techniques on the orchard, win win for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona , She has the property on the market so hopefully the new owners will take care of the trees .... she has invited loads of friends in to pick as much as they want, but there is still such a glut. I'm heading back tomorrow morning to pick more and give them to family and friends.

      Delete
  2. Oh, you lucky girl! Taking a bite from an apple picked right from the tree sounds glorious to me! And I think it's the simple things in life that are truly the best. Enjoy your "haul" - do I see an apple pie coming out of the oven any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good with pastry Susan, but definitely an apple crumble or two.

      Delete
  3. I love generous people who share their fruit. There are heaps of them around in my experience. People really enjoy sharing with others that they know will be enthusiastic about their produce! Love the basket too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apples look great, as does all of your produce. Looks like you're ready for a delicious feast!

    ReplyDelete